Monday, March 1, 2010

The lighter side of life in Cambodia...

I really do believe that one of the best gifts we have in life is laughter. The ability to laugh with others and laugh in the right situations truly is a gift. I want to share with you a couple of lighter moments I have had this week...

Yesterday, (Monday for me), I was playing with some of the kids before they went to have dinner and they kept wanting to see my biceps. I don't have the biggest arms ever but apparently here in Cambodia I do. I thought I would have a little fun with the situation and I told the kids that the reason why I have the muscle that I do is because I do the following things...
1. Eat all my vegetables.
2. Listen to my mom and Marie.
3. Go to bed when I am supposed to.
4. Do all of my homework every night.
We all shared a pretty good laugh and lots of smiles.

I went to the local market in my village of Baek Chan on Monday. I rode a bike for about 15 minutes into Baek Chan from Place of Rescue and was greeting by many smiles and surprised people to see a big, foreign guy riding a bike along the road in the village. I got to the market, parked my bike in the "parking lot" (covered hut that cost me 12.5 cents to park at), got some money exchanged and started shopping. I was really excited to be at the market and practicing my Khmer language skills. I stopped at one stall and got talking to the people that owned it. We were having a great chat, I was explaining to them that I was an English teacher from Canada and they got a kick out of how tall and broad shouldered I am. We probably talked for about 5-10 minutes. I turned around to leave the stall and proceed to absolutly smoke my forehead on a cross beam of a stall. I think it was about 6 or 7 of the sellers at the markets got a HUGE laugh out of it and I did to. I guess I need to duck lower next time...;-)

It's good to laugh and appreciate the lighter moments of life. Thanks be to God...

Love and Blessings,
Brian

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying your relative freakishness in Cambodia ;) lol.

    ReplyDelete