Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Kami Lessons and Almond Lattes...

Hey all! I hope everyone is safe, happy, and not freezing from the cold! haha. I have had a busy and incredibly fun week. On October 1st, I officially began taking Kami lessons. I am at Kami school for 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, for approximately 5 weeks. I have a private tutor in the mornings and then lessons in the afternoon. I thoroughly enjoy both my tutor and my teacher. I would really like prayer though for learning Kami, it is a tricky language to learn and it does feel pretty overwhelming sometimes! :-S. I was able to buy a t-shirt at the market today with my tutor speaking only Kami :) A highlight of the past little while was being able to celebrate the high school graduation of one of my roomates. Kosol recently graduated and Place of Rescue threw a party in his honour. Due to Kami lessons, I unfortunately missed the majority of the program but was able to join in for a traditional dinner with the kids and staff. After dinner, the kids and some of the staff decided to dance, most of the dancing was traditional and it was really an interesting experience to join in and learn how to dance. I am sure you all can imagine me trying to dance with my two left feet...hahaha but it was still SO fun! In other exciting news, Melanie and I have a new Canadian roommate! Her name is Anne and she is from Toronto. She will be serving at place of rescue for the next three years as a nurse. I have really enjoyed her company and it is always great to have another canuck around. I am blown away by the number of Canadians I am meeting here in Cambodia. I met a fellow Calgarian at church a couple weeks ago named Wes. I have really appreciated meeting another Christian guy, especially one from Calgary! :) God is good! What does everyone have planned for thanksgiving?? Thankfully, An amazing missionary couple here in Phnom Pehn has invited the three of us over for dinner on saturday :) Not quite my mom's cooking, but it should be FANTASTIC none the less!

Praise Items:
-I feel more and more at home here in Cambodia everyday
-My mentor is fantastic! I had my first meeting with her today and I am really excited for the year with her.
-The Cambodian guys we live with are like the little brothers I never had :)

Prayer Items:
-Continued financial support.
-An understanding and grasp of the Kami language, it's coming but it is still really overwhelming to me sometimes.
-To be used by God, despite language barriers.

Friends, I love you all!

Love and Blessings,
Brian

P.S. The "almond lattes" portion of the post title is from a coffee shop in Phnom Pehn called, "The Terrace" the logo looks a lot like Starbucks but they are WAY better!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having a fantastic time there and we will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. The girls are thrilled to hear you updates and send their love and encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you love Brian. xo God bless
    -Love, Chantal

    ReplyDelete