Sunday, October 25, 2009

Frog legs, Wat Phnom, and a taste of home...

Greetings all! Time for another update from the land of Cambodia...Things are going pretty well these days, I have been under the weather this week though with some sinus problems/head cold so prayer would be very much appreciated :) I just finished my second to last week of language school and it was certainly an adventurous one! On Tuesday, our language teachers took us to Wat Phnom (http://www.arrakeen.ch/cambodia/119%20%20Wat%20Phnom.jpg) and we got the chance to talk to some of the beggars and children selling water there. I spent a few minutes talking to a beggar...a very cool experience to say the least. I also had my first of three Cambodian food experiences of the week...I had two bites (incredibly small ones! haha) of a duck embryo egg, needless to say I wasn't a big fan but I did try it! haha After our visit to the Wat, our teachers took us to a roadside restaurant complete with small, plastic stools about a foot off the ground :) I had deep fried frog amongst other delicious Cambodian food, and please excuse this tired saying but it is actually true, it really does taste like Chicken. On Wednesday, our teachers took us to a pagota and we got to practice our Kami with monks. My afternoon Kami teacher is a former monk so it was interesting to practice Kami with them and hear a little bit more about my teacher's life story. My third and final food experience came when I ate my first of four crickets! They were surprisingly tasty and spiced to the point that I had no idea I was eating a cricket! So it has been an interesting week food wise. A couple days ago I received a package from Ambrose via a Place of Rescue board member (Thanks Emma)! I got some candy and two new CDs amongst other little surprises...Super nice to get a taste of home! I start my final week of language school tomorrow, I have definately had a challenging time during language school but I have learned so much about persevering and determination for the sake of Christ! After this week of language school, I am heading off to Thailand for a few days with a couple of friends for a personal holiday. Cambodia has a national holiday during the first part of november and it will be a great time of relaxation and being refreshed before I move out to rescue and start my ministry! I worked really hard this summer and it will be nice to have a bit of a break before the next part of this amazing adventure starts...I promise loads of pictures from Thailand!

Love and Blessings,
Brian

1 comment:

  1. Oh I so wouldn't be that adventurous food-wise lol . Good for you! I'll make you a roast beef dinner when you get home ;)

    ReplyDelete